I am a lover of crafts. I thrive on doing projects around the house. We decided long ago that Alex’s room was going to be science themed. I got some flack from others for even thinking of having a theme or decorating our sons room before he could pick out things himself. I heard a lot of “Why waste your time?” or “He doesn’t care what his room looks like.”

True he doesn’t care what his room looks like, but I do.

First, I love decorating. Am I good at it? Probably not as much as I think I am (okay, not really). However, I love it, so why not do it? Second, I love crafts. Decorating our sons room means that I will have a butt load of crafts to do. Finally, I cannot stand living in a half thrown together space. I have no idea why this is, but my OCD kicks in and I will not rest until the room is to my liking. Therefore it was decided to decorate our son’s room. Picking the theme was easy for us. James’ room was already Star Wars theme and we have a Harry Potter themed playroom.

Since I am a chemist, it only seemed natural to do a room based on science.

I have already started several projects before Alex was born. Some of them half finished because they did not turn out the way that I had intended. Thus I have left them half finished. I want to take my time deciding on the thing I want to do to them to get them where I will like them.

One project that I decided to do was a painting of chemistry beakers. I was killing time on Pinterest one day and found a greeting card that inspired my project. With some tweaks I had my plan.

I ended up spending nothing on this project since I had everything on hand – something that pleased my husband a lot. We had an extra canvas on hand from when we moved into this house. We didn’t have room to display them so they ended up in storage. I retrieved one from storage for this project.

image

My first step was to draw the beakers I wanted. I did this on sketch paper because the canvas I was using was largely black, thus difficult to see pencil markings on.

image

image

Once I had the beakers just how I wanted them, I folded them in half and cut them out.

image

Finally I taped them to the canvas and began the task of cutting out the silhouettes. This was the lengthiest part of this project. I used a x-acto knife to cut the canvas – it was fairly easy to do.

image

When they were cut out and perfected to my liking, it was time to paint the canvas. We had some olive green paint on hand from a project I did in James’ room – the perfect green shade to match Alex’s curtains. It is nice when I can reuse materials. Not only to save on costs but I like multi-use items. Tim was super sweet and painted the canvas for me while I was feeding Alex.

image

While the paint was drying I made confetti. I used a silver holiday bow from our Christmas stash, tissue paper, and a whole lot of glitter to make my confetti.

image

My original idea was to use bags to hold the confetti and tape those to the back of the canvas – creating a see-through look. However, it was quickly apparent that this was a stupid idea (that and I did not have material on hand that I could use). Plan B was quickly formed. I had some canvas paper and paint from the walls of his room. I painted the canvas paper and decided on a new plan. I would glue the confetti to the canvas paper.

image

Once the confetti was dried on the paper and the paint on the canvas was also dried, I tapped the canvas paper to the pack of the canvas. Plan B originally had me tapping the paper to the wall and hanging the canvas over it. However, that was quickly vetoed – as it seemed like way too much work.

image

When I showed my completed art to Tim, he immediately asked “What else are you going to do with it?” Obviously he thought that it looked too plain. I had no idea what else to do to it. I turned to my creative friend Brittany. She suggested some writing under the beakers – “My Lab, My Rules.” Tim and I loved the saying, so on the canvas it went!

image

Once I showed her the updated canvas with her suggestion, she immediately suggested some smoke wisping from the top of the beakers to fill in some of the blank space on top. Of course I loved that suggestion to. So on the canvas it went. Right before we hung it, I sealed the canvas with a clear coat spray paint. This created a second layer for the glitter (ensuring the glitter would stay on the craft and not fall off). The final project turned out so much better than I originally thought!

image